Wednesday 10 February 2016

Applied Animation:Transition test

I have done a few transition tests using watercolor and edit in aftereffect. It has been a long time since the last watercolor drawing, it feels great picking up a brush and actually do some real painting. The control of paint and color is difficult but you will get excellent effect even when strewed up:) I was not planning to get that much wash back in the first painting, I had used too much water on both the brushes and the paper. The wet to wet method is not the one to show vibrant color but beautifully spread of paint. The color is diluted and too soft which is not I want.


The second test is a lot better and closer to what I want. I did not wet the paper but mixing wet paints together. The colors are a lot stronger and have better control when mixing. I also use contrast colors to make it more visually interesting. I will use this method when producing the final watercolor painting but work a lot quicker in order to let the paint flows better and avoid edges.


These are the tests done by Oscar and Lauren at the beginning of the project. The default brushes In photoshop are not the best tools and look nothing like a watercolor brush. We thought it would be better to use real watercolor and scan it in to get the texture and asethic.


The method Oscar use in aftereffect is called stroke where you can make the colors or picture show like recording the strokes. We all think this method will be very useful in later on the project and very doable.

This is a the test I did using the scanned in watercolor painting in aftereffect, masking the area I want in black, multiply the layer. I like the watercolor bush I made in Photoshop which is very realistic and the strength of the stroke is controlled by the pressure you put on to the tablet. The color stands out from the white background and everything is so dreamy and visually stunning.


Also a quick paint of the post box which is one of the object has color. 


This is a transition test done by Lauren using traditional method to animate the first part of the animation. I think drawing on paper is our final decision because we want the texture and the craftliness inside the story. We want it to be less machinery and lighthearted which the texture show able to present most of that. What we also want to do is to introduce some texture to the paper as well, like parchment paper. It might be a good idea to scan I some real paper and extract the texture through photoshop and layer it behind the traditional drawing.


No comments:

Post a Comment