Sunday 13 March 2016

Responsive: Orchard pig Research & development

Before sketching the roughs, I look up to see how to make cider. In the past, people used wooden barrels to store and heavy weight to squeeze and squash the apple to get the juices from them.




I like this photos. It is a nice proportion of the apple tree and the farmer.



How it's made:How to make apple cider. From the video, I know making apple cider today is very convenient and efficient. Factories can patch produce a lot of cider at one time and the taste and quality are in strict control. This is what make hand-craft cider so special because every single cider is different from each other and the taste might differ sightly as well. Orchard pig wants us to stress the crafty-ness of the cider and root-in-somerset therefore our group is introducing the traditional method in a pop and interesting way!

Here are the rough sketches of the illustration! I enjoy drawing from reference and I feel like this brief is tackling my weaknesses which are drawing backgrounds.(Greta is in charge of the characters and I am in charge of the backgrounds) I think this is a good opportunity to improve digital painting skills and to match greta's pig character design.



After a few days, Greta thought we can add some special texture to the illustration. Therefore I did some experiment on making tea-stained paper!

I creased a normal A4 paper and used a soaked tea bag to go through the whole paper. The tea bag broke half way and left with a lot of tea on the paper which produced an awesome effect when dried. I also make one on watercolour paper but it just look like brown water colour painting on it which is not so interesting.

Scanned it in when dried and edit the colour in order to enhance the visual impact.


I absolutely love the effect it makes in photoshop! using multiply on the tea-stained paper layer, place it on top of the illustration, lower the opacity a bit so it is not too intense.


With Greta's Amazing Drawing! Our funder's illustration is finished! I like the characters because they look like they have a story behind and so serious looking make them funny to look at. The surrounding is darken in order to make the character pop. The Orchard pig sign is not very obvious to see that allow the poster to be less commercial but friendly and fun. I want to introduce a bit more brush strokes at the background in the next poster so as to introduce more vintage style.


No comments:

Post a Comment