Sunday 6 March 2016

Do it Ten Research

The research I have done for the 'DoitTen' animation is studying a lot of cat walk cycle. There are a lot of references on google, some are useful but some aren't. At first I follow the gif below, produced a cat walked like it.

However, I noticed cat does not walk like how it walks in reality. The gif above walks with a wrong pattern that front leg and back leg step at the same time whereas real cat walks with four rhythmically different legs. Therefore I want more reference!
Reference above gives me a better understanding of how dogs and cats walk. All four legs have different timing and shapes when walking which enable them to walk further and to balance. The bone shows significantly when walking as well as the level of the head changes. Personally animal walk cycle is harder than human walk cycle... and I have spent quite a while to experiment with.

I think looking at the real cat will be more help but sadly I did not pet a cat and therefore youtube is a great media for looking at cute cats!(also study) There are a lot of video help constructing a walk cycle for example 3D cat walk animation and real footage. Some of them are student's work and some even have slow motion which are very useful and helpful.



I stop the video in every frame so that I could capture the pose of the cat. I was confused about which are the front legs and back legs since it is referencing a black cat but this allows a bit of thought, thinking logically about a walk cycle so I can really learn instead of just copying. 

No comments:

Post a Comment