Sunday 6 March 2016

Responsive:Onform tumblr challenge

I saw a lot of my classmates doing this Onform challenge but I could never found it. Surprisingly it is a weekly drawing game on Tumblr so that I made a tumblr just for this game. Onform is open-free for anyone who has a tumblr account and will renew weekly. It can be an illustration or animation.
There are a lot of amazing art work that from the country which introducing various styles and imagination when interpreting the shape. The use of colours are actually quite flexible and can use the colour of the shape as well.

We need to follow these rules:
- It’s not allowed to rotate, mirror or scale the shape(!)
- The shape have to be recognizable
- Don’t change the proportion (5:7) of the image(!) by using the crop tool 
- Don’t change the color of the shape
- Only use the colors BLACK and WHITE

I did not brainstorm any ideas but to draw straight away in photoshop. The shape was originally a liver but it was not looking pleasant so it changed into a jellyfish. I searched for beautifully jellyfish references, studying the colours and the light and also how it slows under water. The most difficult part is to paint in only black and white but to show the texture of the them and which I use different opacity of the brush and draw stroke by stroke so as to build up the texture and colour gradually.


I am happy with the final drawing. The jellyfishes are looking squishy and shiny while the contrast of light is introduced in the illustration. I would like to play around with different style in the next challenge and experiment with producing an animation as well. It could definitely be improved if I spend more time and patient in it so that the jellyfishes will have more details and look more realistic.





No comments:

Post a Comment