Tuesday 21 April 2015

Storyboards and watercolour experiment

Storyboard: basically the title sequence is separated into two part with two different content ( two paragraphs selected from the book), the first part is where the monk sitting beneath the cherry blossom trees and enjoying a cup of sake, the second part is a rainy night that the monk is left behind by a group of people.


Concepts

I want some unique Japanese umbrellas so I have created these patterns using watercolours and masking fluid, hoping they can perform well within the sequence.



These are my favourites, the masking fluid allows the drawing surface to be 'untouched' and therefore beautiful patterns could be shown while mixing watercolours on the paper.
I have failed these one... bad circle drawing skill.
Not really sure about the colour combination...but I will still use them, maybe put them behind the pretty ones?
I want this simplistic umbrella be the monk's umbrella. I think this can represent the monk's personality and Buddhism. 

For the first part, I painted a petal for the particle playground effect also the background with salt effect that I am really impressed with. The salt effect allows more textures and layers in the painting, the blurriness is dream-like according to the paragraph it refers to: Cherry blossom has the power to bring you back to the cherished memory.



Close up on the cup of sake, I want to add ripple effect on the surface of the sake when the petal falls. 

I am happy working with watercolour and introducing different texture to the digital animation. I think this could show a lot about myself and my oriental culture when deciding on the styles. This  could be challenging because I am experimenting with After effect which I have never officially used it before for a project! I am planning to finish at least half of the sequence during Easter included all the testings and playing around with the programme, wish me luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment