Saturday 15 April 2017

[Extended Practice]time the scenes

During half way of the production, I was confused by the actual duration needed for every frame. The frame rate and actual time got mixed up and ending up do not know how much time needed for each scene. Even with the time code in the animatic, calculating time is the most horrible job in the world and I tried so hard but failed. Therefore it is time for to search the internet! I found quite a few frame calculator websites online and the one I am showing below is the most efficient and clear to use. 
So I can put in the starting time of the scene according to the time code and the finishing time as well, it automatically calculate the length of time of the scene. (remember to alter the correct frame rate before typing in the time). 
Eventually I got a list of the time needed for each scene in seconds 





THIS HELPS A LOT! After sorting out the time, I roughly understand how many frames I need to draw for each scene so that I would not over drawn or drawing not enough so have to revisit scene. The timing also allows a better overview of how scenes link to each other. For instance when a 2 seconds scene comes before a 8 seconds scene, I will leave 1-2 seconds at the beginning of the longer scene for transition when it is avaliable.

I should have done this at the beginning of production because every scenes should be precisely following the animatic otherwise the 'improvising' will messed up the rest of the scene especially having a voice recording to follow. This animation very different to the previous animation because I need to follow closely to the voice recording, unlike the previous documentary our OWL group did which we recorded the voice afterward. What is more, the 'improvising' is what I usually do, casually elongate or shorten scenes since there is no limitation. Therefore it is challenging to have a strict 'rule' to obey to but at the same time I feel more oganised and well-prepared. I think making the time plan is a good idea to continue in the future even if I do not follow eventually. It clears things up and reduce confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment