Saturday 15 April 2017

[Extended Practice]9/3Animatic Crit


It was our Crit on animatic today and we had chance to show our work in process and other semi-final work far work to the rest of the class. I enjoyed watching everyone's animatic because there are such diverse genre of animation that everyone is doing which we could give constructive feedbacks to them. Before this crit, many of them had seen a clip on instagram which I posted and they loved it. There are a lot of positive comments and compliments on the intro of the animation that I am very happy with. Obviously the 3D engine in AfterEffects gives so much credit to the aesthetic I am achieving and therefore it is a sign to keep exploring the use of 3D elements in 2D. Also I asked couple of questions:
Which character design they like the most?
For my dad's character:
they raised an issue of the place of the warrant card. Many of them suggested that it will look more like a cop if the warrant card is put around the neck and it just looks like a helper in supermarket if it is clipped on the clothes. I think it is very constructive because I have never thought about this issue. At the beginning I assumed audience know that they are the police but I really not suppose to make any assumption. This is why people always say bring as much details as you can in the animation and pretend that the audience know nothing about the topic I am working on. So even this kind of minor details could make a big change of the story.

Also they like the second outfit of the first illustration more. Personally I like the first one but I will see how the outfit will go with the background.


For Rambo, They pointed out that I drew him too bulky like Ralph in Wreck-it ralph. haha probably because of the hands and the huge feet. This is a result of lack of practice in life drawing and try to draw muscular people without knowing much about human bodies. It is good they pointed out these mistakes and I will visit the design again.


For the bad guy, many of them love the idea of having the bright red on the top which makes the character more villainous and contrasting to the officers. 



I also asked about the issue of triggering the grenade and the subtitle issue.



As I said before the grammatical differences in Cantonese and English is huge especially in the order of words and I do not want to expose the plot on subtitles before the images on screen and Annabeth said it is possible to change the meaning of English slightly to solve this problem. It does not have to be the exact translation of the voice recording so I could rearrange the English subtitle whatever it fits the sequence. Also they suggested me to work on the grenade scene first so that I could show it and discuss the scene further more with the class at the next Crit. I will definitely spend some time on this scene first but maybe not this week and it might be useful to make a better plan of how the bad guy detonate the grenade before starting to animate. What is more, I need to blog about festival in PPP, look at the range of festivals I can submit this animation to and where it fits.

No comments:

Post a Comment