Thursday 23 October 2014

Photography Induction

In today's photography induction, we are introduced to the photography suite, looking around the studios and have chance to rent a camera and to play with. We had a quick introduction about the performance of the camera for instance different keywords, Aperture and shutter, and ISO etc. Even though I have a camera, I use it instinctively but do not understand the mechanism behind. Therefore it is really useful to listen to these information in order to take control of the camera instead of letting the camera to control the outcome. I always confused about the numbers on the camera like small value is large aperture so let in more light which can be easily messed up. We also learn to format and reset the camera so that we will have more data to shoot and the set the correct size of photos.

We need to take four pictures using different modes and settings. 1) Fast shutter speed 2)Slow shutter speed 3) Large aperture value 4)Small aperture value. I am so excited to go out and shot the moving cars and busy road but since it was raining, I stay indoor to look for anything interesting. It was harder than I thought to start off as I have no plans therefore I joined the others to get some inspiration. We took photos of the water machine and try to freeze the water. I experiment different settings and repeat shots after shots. Theoretically, how much movement blur on photo depends on the shutter speed and fast shutter speeds can freeze movement while slow shutter speeds will blur and movement. However, my photos seems out of logic...maybe the shutter speed is not fast enough? or ISO is needed to support the reduce of light when using fast shutter speed.

experimenting with different shutter speed. Tool: water machine.
Fast shutter speed that can freeze water
Faster shutter speed that can freeze water even better.
I tried an extremely fast shutter speed which turns out very dark because not enough light is captured and I did not turn down the aperture and high ISO value to support the shooting. Once I noticed the setting is wrong, I changed it immediately to try another shot to see if the photos have improved.
Wrong focus! Oops!

Found the second year students playing at shadow.
Large aperture value, the background blurs beautifully while the focus point is sharp and bright.

Slow shutter speed and spin around. I think it is how light painting works? but i like the still photo better as it gives more information and definition.
The shutter speed is not fast enough to get a sharp jumping movement but it gives that dynamic movement of the action.
Very slow shutter speed that the dancing Max nearly disappear from the photo. 

It is really hard to work alone and cooperation with others would always get supports and better results. I was really happy experimenting with others and I get inspired by their ideas. I should have taken more photos to experiment and need to try manual mode  to see if I really understand the mechanism behind. It is challenging to handle the shutter and aperture together .

At the end, we looked at the professional lighting equipment that can be used on different kind of photo shots. We took photos of the plastic model with hard light and soft light. I have learnt the the angle of lighting will  affect the shapes of the models or the atmosphere. 
Without the light reflecting board, the side is shaded and very natural overall
With the light reflecting board. The side is bright but the light is harsh and not natural.

It was a productive and useful induction and I really enjoy what I have learnt. 

No comments:

Post a Comment