Wednesday 29 October 2014

Pixilation(2)

On Sunday, I started the shooting of the pixilation and it started at 10a.m in the morning. I went down from IQ to the Liberty Park where Mary lives and started the first scene at her dome. I was in charge and the director and the actor at that day. Tony was the photographer and Mary was the awesome predator. During the process, there were a couple of changes made due to the unexpected circumstances, for instance I have to change the shooting angles inside the lift so that Tony could avoid getting into the photo due to the reflection of the mirror. I found it more flexible working outdoor as I have a bigger working space but the disadvantage is the need of adjusting the lighting frequently because the daylight will have an effect on the white balance of the photos.

The shooting lasts till the end of day which was out of expectation. At the time we shot the last part of the pixilation in Hyde park was already really dark and cold. The shutter speed became extremely slow in order to get a bright photo which was time consuming and the acting became more difficult in staying still for a long time. The quality of the photos at that particular situation was horrible therefore plan changed! Instead of shooting at a place with no light, we went back to IQ car park where we have constant light supply to continue the pixilation. I think the whole process was very enjoyable and adventurous. I had chance to try out different interesting ideas and had a good time working and playing at the same time.

At that night, I downloaded Final Cut Pro to edit the photos and to convert the photos into video. Unfortunately, the one I downloaded was faulty which did not have he export function so that I was unable to get the outcome until Monday. However, the finished video looks similar to my planned storyboard and I especially like the 360 degree scene where we spent a lot of effort figuring out how that will show a sense of dynamic by pixilation. There are something I want to improve: the timing between each frames. I act too quickly so when I convert the photos into a video, some movements are not clear and slow enough to see which could easily cause confusion; the 

On Monday, Matt helped me to put all the photos into aftereffect. However, The deleted frames caused a big problem that the program could not recognise the order of the frames therefore there are big gaps in the video. I did not impressed therefore I look up to the online video tutorial of the use of adobe brigade and after effect and eventually produced a complete pixilation at the end of the day session. 


Please enjoy!

We had a time to look at everyone's pixilation and flip books. I really enjoy the ideas of their work and how they work perfectly as a team and have a good use of the environment and props to favour the pixilation. I did not get much feedbacks but it seems like everyone was quite impressed?
After all, I found pixilation a fun but time consuming animating method. I extremely enjoy the preproduction and the process which have taught me lot of new skills that can be applied in different area. For instance photography skills and timing and spacing skills when planning an animation. I would definitely do more pixilation in the future and I am proud of what I have done even though it is not perfect because I have already pushed the boundary.

No comments:

Post a Comment