Monday 3 November 2014

Apply

The "Apply" brief encourages us to embrace what we have learnt from the whole module and apply them into a 5-10 seconds 12 frame per second animation. I did a brainstorm and I had a few ideas of the topic surprise, longing and happiness.



 For the topic longing, my idea for it is a competition between the seeds which are desperately fighting for growth and reproduction...but I do not think I can apply many principles on this idea so I sat it aside.


I had an idea about putting a lot of random objects together for the topic surprise and while I was thinking of reference, the song 'My favourite things' from Sound of Music jumped into my head because it is a song about random stuffs we likes. Therefore, I started to develop more by finding lyrics and listened to the song on youtube.

The lyrics I chose is,

"Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favourite things"

because it has kittens which I like and the lyrics sounds nice. I just want to start quickly rather then just thinking about ideas, therefore I created a storyboard based on those lyrics.

I did not like this storyboard because it is sketchy and the events are not linked together in the best way I could think of also not many principles are applied. I feel like it can be improved by thinking more carefully and maybe experimenting different approaches?


Matt came to talk to me and say that I can use the actual song as the background music and suggested me to check out the timing of each scene by listening to the song again and trim out the section of the song I need. Therefore I headed down to the computer room and downloaded the song by youtube video convertor into mp3 file and process it by premiere pro. What I have noticed was Julie Andrews, the singer, sings the lyrics in the second part with so much passion which I do not think it would be suitable to be a background music of the animation. However, the lyrics I animate are the very beginning of the song and there is no music where the temple is still slowly building up. It is not so suitable therefore I decided to change the lyrics to:

"Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snow flakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favoruite things"

because it has a steady temple and better imagery.


 I calculated the time for each part of the lyrics and compared the same lyrics from different parts of the song in order to get the best timing and spacing when planning out my animation.
I was attempting to do three girls but it might be too much work for this stage so I am only drawing one girl so as to reduce the workload.


A rough plan of '' Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes"

No comments:

Post a Comment