Tuesday 10 February 2015

Feedback from the class of the sound animation

Today we presented our finished animation in front of the class and gained feedbacks and exchange opinions. First of all, looking at the others animation, they are all diverge in style and media. They are all unique and can represent the own animator. My classmates achieve this task in various way that I have never considered of for example texturise background and animate the sound waves. I think it is an useful opportunity to learn from each other and to spot on strength and weakness about the method I used to animate and to reflect on. I only had 4 animations to present to the class because I forgot to put the last one on to my USB which should not be happened ever again especially when we are having a crit. I need to be more organised and alerted next time in order to improve my work.

Here are some feedback I received,
1) Sound 10
Strength:
The sound and the animation are syncing nicely; Good timing; Good shapes

Weakness:
White background is not good; The edges can be sharpened

My feeling:
This is actually my favourite and I did think about sharping the edges which I did not do at last. However I think white background is suitable as i want to keep it simple and clean. I think the animation can be improved by sharpen the edges, add the weight by using different shapes or colours.

2)Sound 12
Strength:
The start of the animation is great (the tear, the split); like the background and representation; tectonic plates like;

weakness:
People do not understand the ripple; rain drops need to be less consistent ; a bit too much going through

My feeling:
I think I have added too many effects on and do not emphasis on the actually animation. However I think this is a good experiment on the use of different media and materials. I think the animation can be improved by less special effects, more carefully planned timing and spacing.

3)Sound 24
Strength:
The shapes are good; the use of ink can nicely present the atmosphere;

Weakness:
People do not understand the animation; there is serious problem about the animation not syncing the sound

My feeling:
I know there is a problem of the syncing the animation and the sound and I could have solved this problem if I put more effort and time in it. I feel like the shapes are very original and the choice of ink is correct. The filter layer adds an extra atmosphere which I really enjoy. The animation can be improved by syncing the elements more precisely and maybe add more frames to it?

4)Sound 32
Strength:
capture not just the initial drip but the little drips too; pitch captured; the adjustment on height according to the pitch; good timing; good use of colour.

Weakness:
some shapes are not symboled to the sound; do not think the lines solid curl up at the end.

My feeling:
I am quite amazed that everyone likes this a lot and this means that simple makes perfect. I am happy with this animation as well because it is playful when experimenting around shapes and colours. I think the animation can be improved by more carefully drawn lines and improve the quality of the drawing.

After all, I think this task has helped me a lot in terms of observing the sound (or object) carefully and patiently before animating. It allows me to find the interesting elements and understand the details that is not usually visible. I think I need to spend more time and effort on the animation onward in order to maintain a good standard and be experimental on materials.





No comments:

Post a Comment